10 Fun facts about Facebook
By Lois Ransome on July 29, 2019
1. When Mark Zuckerberg and his Harvard College friends initially launched Facebook it was called Facemash.
2. According to its latest figures, Facebook has 2.4 billion monthly active users. That’s nearly a third of people on the planet!
3. Facebook serves its users with 100 million hours of video every day. Videos also earn the highest rate of engagement, despite only making up 3% of content.
4. Posts published on Thursday and Friday receive the highest engagement. The less people want to be at work, the more likely they are to be on Facebook!
5. The most popular person on Facebook is Cristiano Ronaldo with 122 million fans.
6. Facebook has spent in excess of $22 billion buying competitors such as Instagram, WhatsApp and Oculus. They have also acquired companies specialising in artificial intelligence, fitness tracking and a New York design agency.
7. Mark Zuckerberg and his wife Priscilla Chan own a Hungarian Sheepdog called Beast. His Facebook profile has over 2.6 million followers.
8. Over 2 billion people can be reached via Facebook Ads, yet only 6 million businesses are active advertisers, despite there being over 60 million active business pages.
9. The average number of friends on each account is 338.
10. Facebook’s iconic blue and white colour scheme is actually designed around Mark Zuckerberg’s colour blindness. Zuckerberg struggles to see reds and greens so the rich blue shade was the perfect solution!