Back to insights
SEO vs Google Ads
By Digital Reflow
On Mar 22, 2019
It is crucial that you consider both SEO and Google Ads when planning your digital marketing strategy to decide which is best for your business – or if you should do both.
What is SEO?
Search engine optimisation (SEO) is the process of optimising your website so that your site shows prominently in Google’s organic search results. Websites on the first page are the most relevant, so that’s where you want to be – so prospective customers will find your site and buy from you.
What are the benefits?
- One of the biggest advantages of showing prominently in organic search results is that many customers trust organic results over adverts, which often show at the top and bottom of the search results and in the column at the side. Digital audiences are becoming more savvy and are now far more likely to distinguish organic search results from ads than they were a decade ago.
- Optimising your site also creates a smoother, faster and user-friendly experience. A well-optimised site will encourage users to stay for longer, which reduces your bounce rate – that’s the number of visitors that land on your site and then leave immediately without visiting a second page.
- SEO demands time and patience but will yield invaluable long-term results for your business that you’ll see reflected in your bottom line.
What is Google Ads?
Google Ads, is Google’s pay-per-click (PPC) advertising program, which allows you to advertise on the search engine. You can target your audience based on what they’re searching for, where they’re located to get more visitors to your site. Better still, you’ll only pay for results, which means you only pay when someone clicks your link. You can even place your adverts on other websites, which allows you to reach even more targeted customers.
What are the benefits for Google Ads?
- You can tweak your adverts as regularly as you need to reach the right audience, including updating your budget and targeting depending on what’s delivering results.
- Google Ads is faster than SEO – if done properly, a targeted campaign can increase your web traffic and sales or bookings almost immediately. However, it does require more financial risk.
- Even though Google Ads won’t benefit your organic search ranking, it gives you the opportunity to grab your customers’ attention when they are searching for products and services like yours.
Every business is unique – there is no right or wrong. Your business goals, budget and time constraints all play a role in what direction you take with your marketing. However, we suggest you start by building an organic foundation with SEO that you can then enhance with Google Ads.
Ready to take your business further with SEO or Google Ads? Get in touch.